Saturday, April 27, 2019

Acrolink 8N-PC8100 Performante Power Cable

Introduction

Just worked yourself to the bone saving your precious pennies for the flagship Acrolink 7N-PC9700 power cable ? The bad news is that Acrolink has launched a limited edition model, the 8N-PC8100 Performante Cable. I certainly didn't see this coming, especially so soon after the launch of the 7N-PC9700 ! Such is life, and we can only see whether this new model (limited to only 99 pieces in the world)  will dethrone the King of the castle.


Description


Acrolink has somehow managed to retrieve enough stressfree 8N copper material from it's secret vault to launch this limited edition series (the current lineup uses 7N DUCC conductors). Technically, the PC8100 is closer to the PC6700, with both using 50 strands of 0.37 mm diameter copper conductors for neutral and live conductors, as well as polyolefin, tungsten and amorphous powder as filler (the PC9700 included carbon powder). The shield is different, with the use of copper foil tape and silver plated copper braid, instead of carbon tape and enameled copper braid on the PC9700.





Visually and handling wise, the PC8100 and PC9700 are similar, with identical plugs, and flexibility (or lack thereof).






Pricing will depend on your market, but be assured that the PC8100 will cost significantly more than the PC9700. In Singapore, the local dealer X-Audio is offering this cable for S$ 5,500 (or about slightly more than US$ 4,000).

Sound Quality

Admirers of the Acrolink Mexcel house sound will not encounter any surprises - the PC8100 treats it's audience to extended and silky highs, with a refined presentation that is precise and quiet.

A concise way to describe the PC8100 is that this is the progeny of a union of the PC9500 and PC9700, with a well-struck balance that highlights the strengths of both Mama and Papa cable. The PC8100 has the well-defined strength and muscularity of a bodybuilder, and the speed, elegance and grace of a ballerina ! Click on these links to see my previous reviews of the PC9500 and PC9700.  

But stopping short at this description would be doing the PC8100 a disservice - it is able to do everything slightly better than the PC9700, with a slight edge in resolution, micro-detail and background quietness. Throw in the low frequency authority and dynamics of the PC9500, and you have it all - at a price (financially). 

Your choice of poison really depends on taste. The PC9500 has the most powerful sound, albeit with a more raw edge to it - perfect for the rockers. The PC9700 has the most laidback and sweet tone - perfect for small scale jazz and classical works, or vocals. The PC8100 takes the middle road, which is great if you listen to both ends of the spectrum, but an audition is a must - it may be too polite for the headbangers and too forceful for the pipe and slippers crowd. The level of improvement compared to the PC9700 is more evolutionary than revolutionary, and the PC9700 owners should be able to sleep soundly at night. For the prospective Mexcel purchasers sitting on the fence though, this cable is really the one to have in my view.

Conclusion

The PC8100 demonstrates Acrolink's commitment to pushing the envelope of what is possible from power cords. If you move fast, you just could be one of the lucky owners of this limited edition flagship cable. A big thanks goes out to the guys at X-Audio for making this review possible.


Acrolink 8N-PC8100 Performante Power Cord
Price : S$ 5,500 

X-Audio Pte Ltd
Bukit Timah Plaza. 
1 Jalan Anak Bukit, #01-01S
Singapore 588996
6466 2642 


7 comments:

RnRmf said...

I purchased a couple of the 9700's, partly based on your review among a few others, and I love them. I think I like them better than the Furutech Nanoflux and Nanoflux NCF cables I was using in numerous spots in my system. The 9700's I purchased are used on my amps to outstanding effect and musicality.
I read two things about the 9700 being out of production - 1) it sold out, and 2) The 8100 is superior.
Any idea if either or both is part of the official or unofficial marketing? I'll await your review for your opinion on its performance!
I ordered some 8100 Performante cables, recently, which will be shipping to me, shortly. I look forward to making the comparison myself. After the outstanding experience I had with the 9700, I think it's worth taking a chance on the 8100. Best Regards, Christian

RnRmf said...

The jury is back...
I've used the 8N-PC8100 in 2 different systems.

In my main system the latest exceeds the 9700 in every single parameter and is even more musically satisfying. Three dimensional, clear, with deep bass, delicate treble - I'm stunned how good it is and how music is more involving with these.
I compared it to the 9700 on my Bricasti M28 amps and there's no reason for me to prefer the 9700.

My next test will be against Siltech Triple Crown power cables on my source and pre-amp; I do not expect it to exceed the performance of those, but without making that comparison, I'd still call the 8100 one of the best power cables I've heard for all the qualities it has. I could live with it and not consider replacing it. It's that good.

Ian said...

Shortly after your review, Esoteric announced the Mexcel PC9900 😭😭😭

RnRmf said...

Amazing how different systems and different ancillary parts of the system (duplexes in this case) can alter the performance and perception of ones system.
As of yesterday, I'm back to using the Esoteric 9700 power cable in a second system after changing from a more "audiophile" duplex to a Hubbell cryo'd and cooked HBL5362.
The synergy of the duplex and the 9700 make for a presentation I've never heard in either of my two systems. Resolution, warmth, focus, and natural sound are making for the best listening since I set up this system in early 2019.
I had been switching between Audioquest Dragon, the Acrolink 8100, the basic but amazing for the money Signal Cable PC's, and the Esoteric/Acrolink 9700 comes out on top, here, after re-trying it on a whim.

Now I want to hear the 9900!

ryder said...

I'm a bit late to the party. I've spent a fortune on the 7N-PC9700 and it's a fantastic power cord purely because all my other cords are significantly cheaper (Wireworld Electra 7 and few more not worth mentioning). The 9700 is currently on my Luxman amplifier.

And now I read that the 8100 and 9900 are better in everything compared to the 9700? I was wondering if the differences or improvements are noticeable enough (as you don't need to make an effort to hear a difference) since the price is these cables is not exactly cheap.

Anyway I'm an Acrolink Mexcel convert now as this 9700 has transformed my system to a higher level of performance. The notes especially piano all sound energetic and live. Previously I need to turn the volume up or the notes of instruments will sound dull and lacklustre. Even though played at higher volumes the clarity is better, the notes still sound a little dull. Not now with the Acrolink Mexcel plugged directly to the Furutech GTX-D wall outlet. Even at low volumes piano sounds lively and lit. The energy of the notes is amazing as everything sounds like live just like the real thing. You don't need to turn up the volume to get great sound. Music does not sound dull at low volumes anymore as all the notes have amazing energy radiating out from the speakers.

I was just investigating the Furutech Nanoflux which happens to be the top range cable from Furutech and was thinking if I should get one of these to try (in the second hand market of course since I'm now broke after getting the 9700). However, one of the posts here suggests that the Acrolink Mexcel is better than the Nanoflux. Guess I need to look for another Mexcel if I intend to get another one for my system. Haha

RnRmf said...

@Ryder

If you're going to try the Furutech, I'd recommend. the Nanoflux NCF over the Nanoflux. The Nanoflux NCF is in the same class as the Acrolink 9700 and 8100. The regular Nanoflux is a little less refined. There's a thread in the last week over at the What's Best forum about the Furutech cables in particular.
I'm still preferring the Acrolink 9700. and Audioquest Dragon over the Acrolink 8100 with some recent system changes and I'm liking the more full sound of the former two over the latter 8100.

Eric Teh said...

I'm glad you guys are having fun. Let me see what I can do about the 9900 - no promises though. I've worked with a number of the Furutech power cable models (only the bulk cable models) and they tend to have a warmer and fuller sound compared to the Acrolink Mexcel cables.