Friday, October 4, 2024

Diesis Audio Roma and Bonham Tribute Speakers

After reading my HiEnd Asia show report and noting that I missed the opportunity to listen to the Diesis Audio speakers, Louis Chew of Stardust Pictures kindly invited me to his home to listen to the Roma and Bonham Tribute speakers.




To be honest, I am not really a fan of open baffle designs or horn-loaded speakers. Listening to the Diesis Audio system though had me impressed. 

Here is a video with sound clips from my visit.


Powered by vintage Sony power amplifiers and a Shindo Labs tube preamp, this Diesis Audio system was musical, with very large scale and dynamics. Apart from the deep bass, the midrange was well-balanced with full, yet detailed vocals. A lot of horn-loaded setups I've listened to sounded a bit grainy or shouty, so this was a nice surprise. The soundstage depth was also very deep, with good image height. 

I also liked that the system was non-fatiguing, yet detailed so we could enjoy both good and mediocre recordings. The price and size of the system will deter many audiophiles, but it was a great listening experience. 

To top it off, I had a warm and wonderful meet-and-greet from the two lovely resident felines. 


 

No comments: